Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Councilor At-Large 2013 Q & A: Brendan Crighton

Current Ward 5 Councilor Brendan Crighton is currently running for Councilor At-Large in Lynn's municipal elections this year. Crighton graduated from Colby College and has a master's degree in public administration from Suffolk University. He now works as the Chief of Staff in State Senator Thomas McGee's (D) office. Here he answers a few questions regarding his candidacy for Councilor At-Large.



Tell us a little bit about yourself and why you have decided to run for City Council.

It has been an honor to serve as the Ward Five Councilor for the past four years and I am hopeful that I can continue my service on the Council as Councilor-At-Large. As a life long Lynn resident and graduate of Lynn Public Schools K-12, I take great pride in our City and want to do my part to help it move forward.  


To date, how much personal interaction have you had with residents and potential voters? What do you believe to be common areas of concern for Lynners? 

I strongly believe that public servants must be responsive and accessible to residents.  I do my best to attend as many events and meet as many residents as possible to keep a productive and constant two-way conversation.  I think most Lynn residents want safe and clean neighborhoods, great schools, and a stronger local economy that can produce jobs and the revenue we need as a City to improve local services.   



In terms of amenities, where do you feel Lynn is most deficient? How could this be addressed? 

In terms of services, I think we should place more focus on the quality of life in our neighborhoods.  In order to keep our streets clean and our properties safe, we need to increase staffing levels at both the Department of Public Works and the Inspectional Services Department. Both departments do a great job with the funding they are provided, but with such a large demand for services, we must make a stronger investment.


  What type of city do you believe that Lynn should be aspiring toward? Long-term what would Lynn ideally look like in 5 years?

In order for Lynn to move forward, we must continue to make the investments and craft the policies necessary to improve the quality of our neighborhoods and encourage economic development.  Over the next five years I would like to see progress made in our targeted areas for development such as the waterfront and Downtown.  We have set the stage for significant private investment, but we must continue to look outside the box to help make these projects a reality.    


Where can voters get more information on your candidacy and learn more about you?

Voters can always feel free to contact me by email at Brendan.Crighton@gmail.com or by phone at 781-593-2490.  I am also accessible on Facebook and Twitter.  I look forward to sharing my ideas and hearing about the issues that are important to Lynn voters.


You may also be interested in:

No comments:

Post a Comment