Friday, June 24, 2011

What Makes a Favorite Teacher

"My favorite teachers were those who took time to know me, especially in early grades...when test scores showed who needed that extra attention/help. Later years, the teachers who challenged me...
-L.C.



"[Those who] kept the material interesting, had a sense of humor and the ability to make the lecture seem more like a compelling conversation, rather than required content that needed to be retained."
-P.C.



"My favorite teacher was my Montessori pre-school/kindergarten teacher. I loved her teaching style so much that I went back to her school in high school and worked/volunteered as a teacher's assistant.

She treated (now retired) all of her students with respect. She had very high expectations of our behavior, and gently reminded us if we were misbehaving. Instead of yelling, "don't run inside," she would say, "please ask your feet to walk." She always said "please" and "thank you" to us. However, if you insisted on misbehaving, she would discipline you and explain why she was doing it.

She always spoke in a calm voice and kept her cool (even when someone let the class bird out of its cage). When I was older, I could see her unwavering patience with her students. It inspires me and helps me be a little more of a patient person."

-E.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment